The Swede in the middle of Silicon Valley

Tuesday, March 4, 2008

3 firstnames?

I've had a couple of interesting days lately dealing with different governmental departments.

Somehow I managed to find out that I was supposed to inform the Swedish national registration that I've emigrated the USA, so I ended up sending them an email informing about this.

Couple of weeks later I received a snail-mail stating that the process was finished, but I noticed something that I found odd. The section stating my first, middle and lastname didn't have any fields for my middle names, they were all written as firstnames, seams odd right? So I decided to check this up, after a couple of emails back and forth the national registration verified that I don't have any middle names, I just have first-names, and 3 of them!

Now this was getting complicated as the name I use is Jonathan, but this is actually my third firstname, so on all my documents it says "name1 name2 Jonathan Petersson". Overall this has worked out fine since I came to the US both with immigration, social security, banks etc. I was simply Jonathan. But the DMV didn't agree at all, my name was clearly my first firstname.

Based on this I now have to go through a horde of paperwork, AGAIN! Renew my social security, notify all agencies, get new contracts and so on just because I was using my de facto firstname.

Luckily enough Sun (yeah Sun bought MySQL if you didn't know) has a splendid immigration department and it seams like they will be able to solve all the issues for me.

So overall, don't think your name is X, it might be Y, it took me 20 years to get to know about it.

2 comments:

Feoktist said...

Third one first name? What is the naming system in Sweden? I thought it's relatively standard.

Garnser said...

Well, it seams like my legal first name is the first one written, why I've been using my third one is another question which my parents didn't have any good answer to.